Monday, April 4, 2016

Audition Lesson Reflection


Recently I taught a ten minute general music lesson on copyright to my music methods class. The lesson went better than I expected, but overall it needs some work. Some of the main issues that I think my lesson had were that I didn’t have the class play or sing, I started the class with a slow pace, and I jumped from one important topic to a totally different one.
I started my class by passing out a questionare that would serve as a class conversation starter. I like the idea of having the class do a worksheet, but the contents of the questionare didn’t really have anything to do with the listening examples that I played later in the lesson. The questions that were on the worksheet dealt with artists losing income because of free online access to music. If I use this questionare in the future, I will gear the remainder of the lesson towards piracy and getting music for free.
After the class discussion, I played the song “My Lord” by George Harrison and compared it to “He’s so fine” by the Chiffons. I like the listening comparison, but I needed to do more research about the court case. I also need to plan the use of technolgy in my lesson and some playing. Overall, I liked the way that I led the class. I want to make a better lesson unit that is more focused on specific topics and has more playing built into it.
Some questions that I need to investigate are: Can chord progressions be copyrighted? How do you protect yourself against copyright infringement? I would like to incorporate those topics into my unit better. I have to remember that my job is to teach the class about copyright laws - how am i going to do that? I want to teach the class how to copyright their own ideas - how do I teach that? I will try to fix these issues in my next shot at teaching this lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment